Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Keep on Sockin' In the Free World

That must be the absolute worst title I've used for a blog post, but I'm not going to pretend that they are going to get any better. My Rockin' Sock Kit arrived on Monday, and I'm very pleased with it! The colors are beautiful, and the pattern uses different construction methods than I've used in the past. Click below, if you're not hoping to be surprised by your own sock kit--and be warned that I discuss the pattern below the photo:

Sock Spoilah

Since this construction is new to me, I'm not sure if the toe is supposed to pull in quite so much with the ribbing. When I put it over my foot it seems o.k., does anyone know whether this weird shaping will block out, or whether I've made an obvious mistake of some sort?

The pattern itself is very cool, and my gauge seems o.k.--I'm using size 0 knitpicks needles and the Magic Loop technique. I was a little concerned that the sock patterns would be a little too fancy-pants for me, but this is great--new techniques, enough variety in the pattern to make it interesting, nothing that makes me think I should change the pattern. And the yarn is really beautiful. Let's hope I can get through these before the next batch comes in a couple of months!

6 comments:

bonitapita said...

yeah, what Wendy said.

They aren't the prettiest socks to look at off the foot but they fit me like a dream (I have very high arches).

Keep going and if you want to see one finished, go to my blog: castingaway.wordpress.com (not the blogger site).

gypsyknits said...

They will be fine. Ribbing contracts and yet fits beautifully when finished. Make those needles persevere!

Lola and Ava said...

It is my goal to finish my Jaywalkers by today so I can cast on this pair. Are you knitting with the Magic Loop? It kind of looks like it. I can't decide if I want to or not since you have to switch between needles so much.

PS - love the green Jaywalkers!

Anonymous said...

You're doing great! The ribbing naturally pulls in and what you have is exactly how it looks on my pair of socks. You can see my progress on a previous post on my blog.
Happy knitting and have fun!
Ann

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say -- we have a few other things in common -- other than the RSC -- I am also knitting with Duet Sock Yarn and am in LOVE with Amy Butler patterns and fabric.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the messenger bag.. I have a different bag pattern of hers that I will be working on -- I have it cut out, just need to sew it together. I have a few other things to finish before I start that though.

Anonymous said...

I could kick myself for not joining the STR club. It's lovely!