Saturday, August 02, 2008

I've Got My Spine I've Got My Orange Crush

Oolong Sock Swatch


Have you seen the Twist Collective? Man, are there a lot of patterns I'd like to make. First up will be Oolong socks by Mona Schmidt, which I will be knitting for the Sock Put event in the Ravelympics. The Ravelympics that I had no intention of joining until I saw this pattern, and needed an excuse to start them. I'm using the orange Principessa yarn that I bought in Venice in May, it is exactly as electric as it appears in the photo above. Since I can't cast on until next Friday, and I was unsure about the weight of this yarn compared to the pattern yarn (I've not knit with either before), I knit up a gauge swatch last night & earlier today. I like it--the gauge is fine, the texture is good, the pattern is visible. This yarn is sproingy!

Let the record show that I am not currently planning to wake up early to cast on at the official 5am start time, but I will be taking the bus to work that day so I may cast on in the morning.

Knitting a pair of socks in 17 days is stretch for me, but I'll be on vacation for part of that time so I'll try to make a good run of it. The cuffs are not exceptionally long on these socks, and I suppose that I can shorten them by one repeat once I get going. That would help on another front as well--I'm a little worried about running out of yarn, since I might need a slightly longer foot. If I can hold off on signing up for any additional events (WIP wrestling is probably what I should be doing), I'll come a lot closer to finishing.

1 comment:

Lola and Ava said...

I love the patterns on the Twist Collective, but the prices kind of make me leary. There were about three that I really, really liked - which is about what I would pay for a book. But, these socks were one of the ones I liked so I can't wait to see how yours turn out.