Monday, May 25, 2009

New and Improved Knitting Content!

May 24, 2009

May is almost over, and I feel like I've been knitting (and blogging about knitting) a lot less this month. I suppose it's because I've been really busy, both at work and at home, but it may be that I'm just at the point in a lot of projects where there's not that much to say about what I'm doing. I'm in the middle of a sock leg (or foot), or at the end of 6.25" inches of sock ribbing, or knitting a couple of rows on a sweater, and there's not a lot of commentary to go along with it. It's the transitions in knitting that are the most interesting to write about--the start, the finish, the ripping back of a stupid mistake. Progress in tiny increments? Snoozeville, both to write and to read.

Given that this is a long weekend, I decided to start something new. I picked up Liberty's Kaguya (Rav Link) in Zsa Zsa and Zen with a chevron scarf in mind, although since I've used pink and green for a chevron scarf before, it didn't feel quite like the right project. Then I saw Jennifer's beautiful Ishbel (Rav Link), and it looked like just the thing. The effect is less dramatic in pink than in the dark Malabrigo lace that she used, but I love the summery feel of the color. Kaguya is a bamboo/merino blend, so it's got a little bit of drape and is very soft. In the first 10-15 rows, it felt like the dark bits of color were clustering on one side of the triangle, but they've totally evened out and I'm very happy with the subtle variagation.

I made a spreadsheet to calculate how many stitches I should have in each row (my brain couldn't do it manually), and based on the total stitch count I'm already about 50% finished! I'm going to have a ton of yarn leftover--I've only used about 35g of the 110g so far. Now I just need to clear the decks of other concerns (all of the stuff that I've put off all weekend) so that I can get in some solid knitting time.

3 comments:

Walden said...

It looks very pretty so far. Not really a pink person, but it gives it a nice delicate look.

Lola and Ava said...

The first thing I thought was, "OOOH, shiny!"

Rebecca said...

Your Ishbel is lovely! I will have to add yet another shawl to my queue!