Saturday, December 23, 2006

This is Why Your Christmas Card is Late

I know, I know, there's always an excuse for late cards, but this year my plans have gone particularly awry. I've been participating in the Who Wouldn't Love a Handknitted Gift? knitalong, and have finished 9 Christmas gifts out of a target of 8. And I've been working a lot more than I expected, and I never factor in the lack of evening time when holiday events start piling up. And now, this:

Earlier this week I received the brown skein of Bittersweet from Sundara Yarn, and I had to wind it and start knitting Eunny Jang's Anemoi Mittens immediately. Immediately! They aren't a gift (so far), they aren't a Christmas-related project, but I've had my eye on them since the pattern came out and I really wanted to see how they'd look in Bittersweet. I expected the Bittersweet to be more plum colored, but it's really a rich dark brown. On the corrugated ribbing, it looks almost like chenille, I like it a lot so far. The cream yarn is Dale of Norway Baby Ull from my stash--I didn't want to wait to go to a yarn store to get something fancier.

However, a small problem with the thumb gusset, between the pink stitch markers:

There should be a cream line framing running up the right side, and there isn't, so I have ripped back to the beginning of the gusset. Booooooo! It might not have been 100% necessary to rip back that far, but I'd rather not make a big mistake right at the beginning of the project, especially after all the time it took to knit the ribbing. (edited to note: there were more mistakes in the first couple of rows, so it's good I ripped back). I will only work on these a little more this (early) morning--seriously, I need to get cracking on those cards (maybe 1/3 have been sent), before it becomes embarrassing to send them out at all.

No comments: