I started this hat as a potential Christmas present back in November, but it fell by the wayside without a definite recipient and I just finished it up last night. When I woke up this morning to snow, I thought that I'd be able to get a nice, wintery outdoor photo, but it wasn't light enough at home and there was N-O snow at the office, so indoor mirror photos are going to have to do the trick.
The pattern is, of course the Yarn Harlot's Unoriginal Hat (there are 592 finished versions on Ravelry), and the yarn is Blue Moon's Leticia, in Rook-y. I ran out of yarn on the crown, which surprised me, and required some modifications at the top--switch to smaller needles before the last cable cross, eliminate the plain round before the last cable cross, and then decrease faster. I don't think it looks bad, but you can judge for yourself in my extremely lame behind the head photo below:
I have 20 grams left of the skein that I knit my first hat out of, so either the yardage varies a lot (I'm pretty sure that weight is secondary to yardage for BMFA) or this skein was short, or the first skein was long. I tried to deliberately knit this hat looser (once I knew it would be for my giant head), so that could also be the issue, and since I was able to finish the hat without a drastic mod, it doesn't really matter to me. If I'd run out a little earlier, I'd be plenty mad, and I am a little sorry that I don't have any leftovers--this is gorgeous yarn, both in touch and in color.