Sunday, November 19, 2006

New Knitalong Project, Plus a Sock Update

The Sock War continues, but slowly. These are the last pair I will be knitting for the War, so there isn't a ton of incentive to finish them quickly. I'm aiming to have them in the mail in the next day or so, so that they will reach Texas around the end of the game on Nov. 24. After that, it's a knit off to reach Yarn Monkey in Ireland, but since there are 87 people still living, and there's no way I'll receive socks in progress, I'm pretty sure that this is it for me and Sock Wars. Overall it's been a good skill building exercise, but not quite as satisfying as I had hoped--I still can't believe how many people signed up and then totally flaked out because they didn't understand the rules and didn't get an e-mail that first weekend. Seriously--you sign up for a freaking war, and then you don't bother to check the organizer's blog or the very active bulletin board to find out what's happening? Anyway, the heels have been turned, and I'm working on the gusset decreases, and I like they way these look so far. There are going to be a lot of loose ends to weave in, which is a bummer, but I like the two color look. On the right, I've used my new iPod Shuffle as a size reference. Yes, I did just get it, and yes, it's awesome--I dragged my lazy ass to the YMCA this evening, just to try it out. Let's not discuss this or any other iPods that I may or may not own any further, o.k.?

To take a break from the socks, which have been driving me a little bit crazy, I joined the Meathead Knitalong that Larissa is running to test knit a hat pattern for her forthcoming book. The KAL involves knitting the hat according to the pattern, and then personalizing it with a small embellishment. Check out her original Meathead project--it's very cool. The knitting of the meathead hat itself is done, it just needs a little blocking and then an embellishment. I used two colors of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky Yarn (Creme and White Frost), and size 15 Addi DPNs. The colors are pretty close to each other, I was sort of hoping for a little more contrast. The hat it knit with two strands at once, and took less than two hours to knit--a NICE break from all of that small needle knitting that I've been doing. Now I just need to decide how to decorate it. I originally thought that I'd use a beautiful Czech glass button that I picked up at the 2006 Sewing and Stitchery Expo, but I think that it is too small and delicate to look great on the hat. Do you agree? Other options include felt flowers (with or without googly eyes), an egg (Egghead--get it?), a robot, a spaceship, etc. I will entertain suggestions from the gallery.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Hi Carrie. The SOD look nice. I wish they were for me (I'm in Texas). Alas, I continue to be sockless having completed two pairs SOD.

Laura Gallagher said...

Oooh, I'm so excited. They look pretty. The SOD for NyghtenGail are also dragging. I was over at a friend's Friday night, determined to get a bunch done - and hit a knot, with no darning needle to do the Russian join. Finally got back to them today. I better hurry and finish. Now if she'll just send me her address.

Thinking on all those knitters who did NOT live up to expectations - grrr. Well, you and I, we have the Moral High Ground, that's what we have.

And I will shortly have socks! Wheeee.