Sunday, August 26, 2007

Where, Oh Where, Did I Go Wrong?

I finished the beehive section of the Bee Fields Shawl yesterday, and started in on the swarm this morning. The first bee on the left side of the shawl looks like this:


Good Bee


So far, so good, right? This looks pretty similar to Fairy Godknitter's swarm, one of the best photos I've seen of this section so far. Mine isn't blocked out very much, but the basics are there: center body, large wing yarn overs and smaller yarn overs.

But wait--all of the other bees look different, and not in a good way:

Bad Bee


I don't see a bee, or any other insect, in this photo. I can see a line of what would be the body that slants off to the right. Arrrgh!!! I need to rip out 7 rows, which is something like 2000 stitches. These are slow rows, too--lace pattern on both sides, instead of mostly purling on the wrong side. And I completely forgot to put in a lifeline after the Beehive section, which I had every intention of doing. Fortunately, the border between the two sections is reverse stockinette, so I can try to insert a lifeline into the first or last row of the border before I start ripping.

While I was knitting, I was a little concerned that I couldn't see the bees, but I thought that it had something to do with where I was in the pattern. Wrong!!! I'm still a little concerned that I'm doing the yarn-overs on the wrong side incorrectly, so this will give me a chance to do some research (i.e. get off my ass and find my Victorian Lace book) and make sure that I'm doing those right.

4 comments:

Cactusneedles said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of work! I haven't really tried lace yet. I do like the color:)

Heather said...

I've really been admiring this pattern. Yours looks great, even without the bees.

Carrie said...

Thanks, Heather! I really like knitting it, and I think I'm just about back on track. It will look better with the real pattern!

tiennie said...

I've yet to do lace so I wouldn't know what to suggest since it looks alright to me!