Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'm So Sweet, Like a Nice Bon Bon

Super Purple Girl (twisted)

I've started the Super Purple Girl Twirly Skirt (that needs to be done in three weeks), and although I think it's going to be adorable, there's bad news and there's good news:

The Bad News:
I twisted the cast on row when I joined it, and didn't notice for the first, oh, thousand stitches. I've had to rip out everything you see above.

The Good News:
I measured my gauge before ripping it out, and I was getting 4 stitches to the inch instead of 5. That means that I was on track to knit a 28 inch waist for a 5 year old, which is about 6.5 inches too large. I probably should have noticed that it was huge independently of the twisted edge, but wasn't thinking about it.

The Even Better News:
At 4 stitches to the inch, this yarn makes a nice fabric that is neither too dense nor too open, so I can just cut the number of stitches by about 20% to adjust. 20% fewer stitches = faster knitting!

Now I just have to hope that the gauge I was getting on what I've knit so far is representative, at least until I start the ridiculous increases.








________________
"I'm So Sweet, Like a Nice Bon Bon", The Beastie Boys, "Body Movin'". I'm listening to it right now, to encourage faster blogging.


No comments: