Saturday, July 12, 2008

Where They Pour Coca Cola Just Like Vintage Wine

I'm about 25% into the 42 inches of lace stripes on my Wino Juno, and have been tracking my progress by day so that I can actually see that what I've knit is adding up. It's easy with a long stretch of a single pattern to feel like I'm knitting forever but not making any progress, and this was a suggestion I read on the Ravelry forums. I put a split stitch marker around the center stitch before starting for the day, and here's how it looks:

Juno By Day 2

From Bottom to Top:

Tuesday: I got a lot done at Knit Night, and knit for maybe an hour or so afterwards as well. I'm not quite sure how I made so much progress in one night!

Wednesday: On Wednesday, I knit after work for awhile, but I also worked on a new lace washcloth, and didn't make a ton of progress. However, I got in some extra knitting thanks to a 3:30am visit from the police, who had been called by a neighbor when he saw someone trying to steal my car radio. They failed to take the radio, but did get an old crappy iPod that won't hold a charge. There wasn't any damage to the car (I hadn't locked it), but I did make a number of mistakes on the shawl between 3:30am and 4:30am. Note to self: stockinette or garter stitch ONLY when the police come in the middle of the night.

Thursday: Progress seriously hindered by having to fix the errors made on Wednesday. No ripping was required, but I had to drop down several rows in several places--ripping might have been faster!

Friday: Moderate progress made. I spent most of the evening alternating between loading songs onto another iPod for the car and knitting. Radio thieves, if you are reading this, note that I am not leaving this iPod (or the faceplate of the radio) in the car overnight anymore!!!!

Saturday: Saturday's not technically over, but this is what I knit while waiting in line for an iPhone for 3.5 hours. It's not all I knit--I also worked on a pair of socks and finished the lace washcloth I started last week.

As an aside, I'm excited about the iPhone, especially since my old phone is over three years old and has been increasingly unreliable. I'm not pleased with the buying experience, however. The people at the Apple store were very nice, but I think that the company should have been better prepared in any number of ways. For instance, the website and voicemail information for the store said that they would open at 10am (vs. the early opening yesterday), but they really opened at 8am. So instead of getting their early, I got there late. I'm not sure it would have made a difference in my waiting time, but I would have spent less time worrying that they would run out, and it wouldn't have felt like I wasted the whole day. From what I could see, Apple doesn't particular care about whether it's customers have a good buying experience, and I really hope that they are treating their store employees (who have to deal with the frustration for very, very long days) better than they are treating their customers. I should have just waited, I suppose!


Paula said...

Make sure that you check under your seats for $400! If you want to hear the story, I'll tell you Tuesday!

dawn said...

Oooh I want an iphone. I don't want to have to deal with the crappy customer service though.

Raquel said...

I love your blog. I found it on your Facebook page. Look forward to reading more. :)

Kevin said...

You need to buy more Apple kit, then you'll have a better experience. And now that you have the iPhone you will... bwa ha ha!!!

angelarae said...

Juno is looking good so far. I am watching your efforts as I am planning on knitting this myself.