Monday, July 02, 2007

Together Forever and Never to Part, Together Forever We Two

Pigeon toe socks

The Bavarian Rockstar socks are all even-steven again, and back on one long needle. They look good, and the fit is better than when I used the smaller needle for the heel--my plan is to continue with the size 1's for maybe 5 more inches, then 1 x 1 ribbing and a tubular bind off. Or finish them as directed by the pattern, I have a ways to go before I have to make a decision. I'm glad that they are back on one needle, although on the rows that require a cable needle it annoys me to no end to have to set down the cable needle in between socks. There's no rhyme or reason to the annoyance, it just really bugs me. But not as much as ending up with two different length socks would, so I'll have to power through it.

And I have this much yarn left:

40 g left

I started with about 100g, so 40g should be more than enough for a decent length sock. I don't want to make them so tall that they require calf shaping (I've never done that, and I don't have the measurements), and I'm hoping to finish them up this week. I have a couple of ideas for schwag to send with the socks that take a little time to execute, so I don't want to be rushing at the very end.

Yes, that is a new scale--I got it on the same day that Stef posted about her scale in orange. I used it for making jam this weekend (24 jars in four flavors--woo-hoo!) and it was great to measure all that sugar by weight rather than scooping it out a cup a time. Plus, I've been able to weigh partial skeins of yarn, very handy when loading the stash into Ravelry.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't scales fun? Love how the socks are coming along!

Debra said...

Gorgeous! Lucky pal. I love they way they're working up.

Cactusneedles said...

Like the socks, they're coming along nicely:)

Heather said...

Now I've got that song stuck in my head! Who sang that song? I can see the video and everything....

Ever try cabling without a cable needle? It's easy, once you get the hang of it. I haven't tried it on socks and the tiny needles may make it too difficult. The socks are beautiful!

Carrie said...

Sorry about putting that song in your head--it's "Together Forever" by Rick Astley.

I do need to learn to cable without a needle--trying it out on size 0 / 1 needles scares me a little, though!

Anonymous said...

Those socks are wonderful. Love the blue and the pattern!

Bryony Ramsden said...

They are coming along beautifully! Sock pattern and yarn are both just perfect for each other.

Stef said...

*giggle* That scale changed my life. Hope you're having fun with yours.

To carry on the conversation a bit, I only realized last month (while working on a cable sock) that I loved no-needle cabling. Just try it out! If you like it, it'll be totally worth the effort and risk.

Katy said...

Thank you for making the choice to make the heel a bit bigger on these socks! I popped them right on and they are comfortable, but definitely do not want to be any tighter. You did a great job blogging your sock progress, and its fun to read about it.

Thanks for the awesome socks (and package'o'goodies from Seattle)