Sunday, January 18, 2009

Twisting, Twisting in the Wind

. . . or No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

The Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat is coming up next month, and while knitting swatches for one of my classes I realized that it's been a long time since I worked on my Vickie Cardigan (here's the Rav Link). I bought the pattern at Madrona in mid-February from Black Water Abbey, got the yarn in mid-March, and finished the first sleeve by mid-April. Not a bad pace, considering that I usually have a lot of projects going at once and that I didn't take it with me when I was travelling in March. However, once spring really rolled around, I put it away and haven't taken it out again. My original intention was to finish it before Madrona 2009, but now I'd just like to get back to it so that I have a shot at Madrona 2010. That's a good goal, right? Work on a WIP instead of buying more yarn, add more variety to the projects that are currently in rotation ('cause it can't all be on size 0 needles, or plain stockinette, or stranded colorwork), and eventually end up with a really nice sweater.

So I pulled out the second sleeve, found my notes and the pattern, and got right back into it. After knitting a couple of inches, I realized that I'd made an error before putting this into hibernation. An error that I could have fixed without ripping if I'd seen it a few days ago, but now:


Two Sleeves


Now it needs to be ripped. You can see the error, right? There should be an additional twist between the diamonds. This may have been the reason I stopped working on this sweater, but I don't remember seeing the mistake, and I definitely didn't make any notes about it. It's not that bad, really--it's still the cuff edge of the sleeve so it won't take that long to get back to where I started. The photo above doesn't show that I'm barely past what's shown of Sleeve #2--the photo below shows better how much needs to go:

P1020425


Note to self: examine dormant WIPs better before restarting. And maybe before putting them into hibernation, look at them first and make a note if anything is wrong. Or better yet, rip back before putting it into hibernation--there's barely enough vacant space in my brain to remember to look at notes!

2 comments:

Claire said...

oh no!

~RaenWa~ said...

Oh man that sucks