Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Bloggers (Silent) Poetry Reading

Sometimes I think that this poem perfectly describes my life, and other times I know that it absolutely doesn't:

Lucy Ashton's Song

Look not thou on beauty's charming;
Sit thou still when kings are arming;
Taste not when the wine-cup glistens;
Speak not when the people listens;
Stop thine ear against the singer;
From the red gold keep thy finger;
Vacant heart and hand and eye,
Easy live and quiet die.
--Sir Walter Scott

I've been thinking about this poem lately. My Boston-era books are either out in the garage or destroyed by my poor storage techniques, so I was glad to have a reason to look it up.

This is my first time participating in the Bloggers (Silent) Poetry Reading--more about the event here (by way of Cara). Copyright restrictions prevent me from reposting my first choice, but that doesn't mean I can't link to it.

No comments: